This 12.5” x 12.5” block will require 6 different fabrics; 4 for the outer rings, 1 for center ring, and 1 for background.
(*Use the following direction as a suggestion. Cutting each piece one by one will result in more accurate result but you can save time by minimizing the number of cuts by cutting multiple pieces at once.)
|a. Outer rings
b. Center ring
Arrange outer ring fabric into 4 sets in the order of how you want the rings to interlock. Select one set as the current outer ring. You will sew the pieces into 4 individual panels. The 4 panels will be sewn together to form a whole interlocking ring panel.
- • After sewing each piece, be sure to iron both sides of the fabric, pressing the ¼” seam allowance to the darker fabric side.
- • All sewn strips will be ¾” wide. Measuring before sewing and after ironing will result in seams that will line up evenly.
- • Carefully align and pin seams prior to sewing.
- 1. Sew B-1 (background) to top of A-2 of next outer ring set.
- 2. A-1 of current outer ring set to the left side of the pieces
- 3. B-2 to the bottom of the pieces then set aside the pieces.
1. Sew B-3, A-2 of next outer ring set, B-3, and C-2
2. Sew C-1 to the left side of the pieces
3. Sew B-2 to the top
1. Sew first group of pieces to the 2nd group
2. Sew A-1 to the top
3. Sew A-2, A-2 of next outer ring fabric, and A-1
4. Sew last group of pieces to the right
Repeat the steps for the next 3 panels to create 4 panels.
*The last panel will use the first set of outer ring fabric for the “next outer ring set” for A-2.
- 1. Combine the 4 panels by first sewing the last B-3 to the bottom right corner of first panel. *Leave 5/8” un-sewn on the top to sew the final block.
- 2. Sew 4th block to the bottom of 1st with B-3. Turn 90 degrees to line up the patterns.
- 3. Sew 3rd to the 4th and then sew the 2nd onto the 3rd.
- 4. Sew the 2nd block to the 1st block. Be careful to line up the seams of B-3 from step one.
- 1. Sew B-4 to the top of the interlocking rings. Leave 1” un-sewn on the left edge, fold and pin.
- 2. Turn 90 degrees counter clockwise and sew the next B-4. Trim the corner edge remaining after a B-4 piece is sewn to each side of the interlocking rings leaving the ¼” seam allowance.
- 3. Continue sewing B-4 to each side of the interlocking rings. After sewing the last B-4 piece, unfold the pinned edge, sew together and trim edge corner. You will be left with a large square about 13” x 13”.
- 4. Trim all four sides, aligning the center of the interlocking rings, measuring 12.5”x12.5”.
- 5. Relax and enjoy the completed interlocking seasons block.
If you make a block using this tutorial, please add it to my Flickr group, Parfait Projects!
Please feel free to contact us for any questions at all!